Boston Housing Data
Data Set Information:
Title: Boston Housing Data
(a) Origin: This dataset was taken from the StatLib library which is maintained at
(b) Creator: Harrison, D. and Rubinfeld, D.L. 'Hedonic prices and the demand for
clean air', J.
Environ. Economics & Management, vol.5, 81-102, 1978.
(c) Date: July 7, 1993
- Used in Belsley, Kuh & Welsch, 'Regression diagnostics ...', Wiley,
1980. N.B. Various
transformations are used in the table on pages 244-261.
- Quinlan,R. (1993). Combining Instance-Based and Model-Based Learning.
In Proceedings on the
Tenth International Conference of Machine Learning, 236-243, University of Massachusetts,
Amherst. Morgan Kaufmann.
Concerns housing values in suburbs of Boston.
Number of Instances: 506
Number of Attributes: 13 continuous attributes (including "class" attribute "MEDV"), 1
1. CRIM per capita crime rate by town
2. ZN proportion of residential land zoned for lots over 25,000 sq.ft.
3. INDUS proportion of non-retail business acres per town
4. CHAS Charles River dummy variable (= 1 if tract bounds river; 0
5. NOX nitric oxides concentration (parts per 10 million)
6. RM average number of rooms per dwelling
7. AGE proportion of owner-occupied units built prior to 1940
8. DIS weighted distances to five Boston employment centres
9. RAD index of accessibility to radial highways
10. TAX full-value property-tax rate per $10,000
11. PTRATIO pupil-teacher ratio by town
12. B 1000(Bk - 0.63)^2 where Bk is the proportion of blacks by town
13. LSTAT % lower status of the population
14. MEDV Median value of owner-occupied homes in $1000's
Missing Attribute Values: None.
Predict Median value of owner-occupied homes in $1000's(MEDV column) based on the other